Friday, December 05, 2008

My 1994 Jeep Wrangler

I've been thinking a lot about my Jeep lately. It has been my daily driver since I sold my Accord in September 2008. Here is a summertime picture of me in the Jeep.

One issue I have had since I purchased the Jeep (April 2007) is with the transmission. It can be difficult to shift. It's not so bad that I am forced to do something about it, just annoying. I am not sure if it is a clutch hydraulic problem, a worn out clutch or just a transmission needing a rebuild. The transmission (Asin AX-5) is notoriously crappy.

While I am here I would like to note the transmission capacity since I recently changed the oil in it and it is fresh in my head. My owners manual says it takes Mopar grade SAE 75W-90 API-GL5 grade oil (most people recommend using Pennzoil synchromesh). It holds just under 4 quarts. The transfer case takes ATF, just over 1 quart.

I would love to swap in a better transmission, like the AX-15 that Jeep uses on the 6 cylinder models. I just don't have the money or time right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are you using synthetic fluid in it? I have several quarts of different redline oils I bought and never used yet due to selling or not needing what I thought I did. Let me know if you want me to check if what I have could help.